2.5-3.5°L - Floor made malt was considered “traditional” in the 17th Century and Crisp
Malting Group proudly and actively continue that tradition. The Floors at Great
Ryburgh Maltings, known as “Number 19”, was first used in the 1870’s and remains
largely unchanged today. At the time, the maltings was the largest floor malting
complex in Europe.
- After the grain is sufficiently soaked in water
to start germination, the growing grain is spread out on large floor areas.
- The depth of grain on the floor is thickened or
thinned by hand to control the germination temperature
- Germinating grain produces heat, so this must
be removed by turning or raking the grain
- When the malt is sufficiently modified it is
loaded to the kiln, which has a tall cone shaped roof to produce a natural air
draught through the bed of drying malt
- Traditional and natural
- High degree of homogeneity
- Closely controlled and directed by the expert
- Gentle kilning to protect enzymes and develop
complex flavour profiles for beer and whisky malt
- A great story that makes your products and
brands extra special!
Priced by the pound. Minimum order 1/10 (0.1) LB